Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Newspaper Article

“You said I was talking about Vanessa on myspace”. “No I didn’t say anything to nobody”. “Yes you did”. “What ever man” “It’ll be a what ever after school”
“Hey Joe did hear about that fight happening after school?” “Yea man I got a text message, you gone be there” “You know I am” “Ard Joe I’ll see you there, don’t want to miss it”

It is the schools responsibility to make sure that students are secure when traveling to and from school. Many schools in the Philadelphia school district tend to have a high percentage of violence each year. Most of these incidents start off in school and finish off in the streets. But its not only the students who are involved in the incidents, its the parents to, and then comes the riot.

At Constitution High we have one security guard and not a lot of violence due to the lack of students who attend our school. Many students feel unsafe and the need for more security while some teachers feel Constitution is a safe environment. During an interview with Mr. Romero, an English teacher I asked him “How do you feel about the safety at our school?” he responded “this is the safest school I have ever worked in, in another school I was jumped by a group of students.” Yet when I asked a student at Constitution High, Aquila Waller she responded “Not really, we have cameras but nobody really monitor them on a day to day basis unless a incident has occurred.”

Being a student at Constitution I feel that there is a need for an increase of security. Students do not feel that the school enforces their security policies providing safety for the students. As the student body increases we hope to see more security officers attending our school.

No comments: